You can get high-speed internet access through a variety of services, including:
- digital subscriber line (DSL)
- fiber optic
When you’re shopping for internet service, it helps to understand the differences and know what questions to ask.
The type of internet service available to you depends on what technology your local providers offer:
- Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL) transmit data through phone lines without interfering with telephone service. Local phone companies typically offer DSL service, but other internet service providers offer it as well.
- Cable modems provide access to the internet through cable lines without interfering with your cable TV service; cable companies provide this service.
- Fiber optic service provides internet, phone, and TV services delivered simultaneously through one fiber optic line.
- Satellite internet service is available in most areas from providers of satellite television services. Extreme weather conditions can disrupt service.