You can use your computer to chat with your friends through Messages for web, which shows what’s on your Messages mobile app. Messages for web sends SMS messages using a connection from your computer to your phone, so carrier fees will apply, just like on the mobile app.
Note: The QR code for Messages for web is unique to your computer and pairs the mobile app to that computer. You can pair your Messages account on multiple devices, but only one will be active at a time. When you open Messages for web on a computer, your conversations on any other computers or browser tabs will become inactive.
What you need to get started
On your phone, you need:
On your computer, you need:
- One of these web browsers: Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge. It is not available on Internet Explorer.
- An internet connection
Tip: You might get charged for data if you use your phone. To avoid extra charges, connect your phone to Wi-Fi.
Set up Messages for web
- Your latest conversation threads, contacts, and other settings will be encrypted and cached on your browser.
- If you don’t use your Messages account for a few weeks, you’ll be signed out automatically for security reasons.
See your messages on the web
When you have unread messages, the Messages icon in your browser tab will show a red notification and the number of unread messages.
Tip: You can make Messages for web look darker or use high contrast:
- On your computer, tap More Enable Dark theme.
Sign out of Messages for web
Signing out helps keep other people from seeing your messages and sensitive info, like two factor verification codes or personal details.
If you’re using Messages for web on a shared or public computer, sign out when you’re done.
- On your computer, open Messages for web.
- At the top left, click More Sign out.