NOTICE: Access to portions of the Board of Elections website will be unavailable on Sunday, May 3, while we perform scheduled maintenance.
The Democratic Presidential Primary rescheduled for June 23, 2020 has been cancelled.
Executive Orders 202.23 and 202.24
Pursuant to Executive Orders 202.23 and 202.24:
- All eligible voters in active or inactive status will be mailed an absentee ballot application for a primary or special election to be held on June 23.
- The Special Election in Congressional District 27 is NOT cancelled and all previously submitted absentee ballots for this contest will remain valid.
- The following Special Elections are cancelled: SD-50, AD-12, AD-31, AD-136; Queens Borough President; NYC Council District 37. The vacancies will be filled at the November General Election.
The link for Executive Order 202.23 is: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20223-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
The link for Executive Order 202.24 is: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20224-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
Executive Order 202.15
Executive Order 202.15 allows voters who are affected by COVID-19 pandemic and wish to apply to vote by absentee ballot to utilize the absentee ballot application ( 484KB) and check the box for “Temporary illness or physical disability” with no requirement for in-person signature or appearance to be able to access an absentee ballot. The Order contains no change in the application deadlines. Applications for absentee ballots may be made by mail, email, fax or in person.
Delivery of absentee ballots to voters still remains the same – via mail or in person. There is no change in the return methods: mail or in person. Applications for elections conducted after June 23rd revert back to the original process, unless further modified by an executive order or by law.
The link for the Executive 202.15 is: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20215-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
Executive Orders 202.12 and 202.13
Executive Orders 202.12 and 202.13 have modified the Election Law by:
- Postponing and rescheduling the federal Presidential Primary from April 28, 2020 to June 23, 2020;
- Postponing and rescheduling the special elections in the 27th CD, 50th SD, 12th AD, 31st AD and 136th AD from April 28,2020 to June 23, 2020; and
- Beginning March 31, 2020, postponing the circulation and filing of all independent nominating petitions;
- modifying the annual mail check requirements.
The link for the Executive 202.12 is: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20212-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
The link for the Executive 202.13 is: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20213-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
Attention Petition Filers:
DEADLINE TO FILE ELECTION LAW § 16-102 COURT CHALLENGES TO PETITIONS FOR JUNE PRIMARY IS APRIL 3, 2020.
It is our opinion that the deadline to file and serve an Election Law proceeding in Supreme Court related to the June 23, 2020 Primary (Election Law § 16-102) is April 3, 2020 ( 99.2KB).
Chapter 24 of the Laws of 2020
Chapter 24 of the laws of 2020, signed on March 18, 2020, set the dates for filing designating petitions to be from March 17, 2020 through March 20, 2020.
Executive Order 202.2
Executive Order 202.2 has modified the Election Law by:
- Setting the last day to collect a signature for a designating petition to be 5 pm on March 17, 2020;
- Reduced the signature requirement to be 1.5% of the active enrolled voters of the political party in the political unit or 30% of set State signature thresholds;
- Reduced signature requirements for party position, as noted above; and
- Postponed March village elections statewide.
The link for the new 2020 political calendar reflecting changes: https://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/law/2020PoliticalCalendar_Rev0319.pdf ( 239KB)
The link for the Executive order is: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-2022-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
Please continue to check this website for updates.
June 23, 2020 – Special Election to fill a vacancy in Congressional District 27 (Counties: Genesee, Livingston, Orleans, Wyoming, part of Erie, Monroe, Niagara and Ontario).
The Early Voting period for this Special Election will be June 13, 2020 – June 21, 2020.
June 23, 2020 – State and Federal Primary Elections.
The Early Voting period for State and Federal June 23rd Primary will be June 13, 2020 – June 21, 2020.
November 3, 2020 – General Election day.
The Early Voting period for the November General Election will be October 24, 2020- November 1, 2020.
Proposed Regulation For Comment:
Part 6200.2 – Relative to Time For Filing Statements ( 77.7KB)
Comments can be sent to [email protected]
Calendar of Events
|Commissioners Meeting||State Board Offices*
40 North Pearl Street
Albany NY 12207
Minutes and Archived Webcasts
* Due to the coronavirus pandemic, meetings will be held via videoconference. The meetings will be webcast live.
NYS Board of Elections Use of Force Policy
Board of Elections Use of Force Policy ( 156KB)